No need to serve these with jam — just whipped cream.
|2 ½ cups||Self raising flour|
|¼ tsp||Baking soda|
|125 g||Cold butter, diced|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|¾ cup||Rhubarb, diced, 2cm pieces (Main)|
|¾ cup||Strawberries, sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Cream, for brushing over|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with a silicone baking sheet or baking paper.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a food processor. Pules several times.
- Add the butter and blend until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Combine the 175ml cream and beaten egg. Add to the dry ingredients and pulse until combined but still crumbly and a little wet.
- Turn onto a floured bench top and knead gently together. Carefully add the fruit, mixing in with your hands. Pat the dough into a disc about 25cm in diameter. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on the oven tray in a circle leaving about 1cm between each scone. Brush with the extra cream.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and cooked in the centre.