Other fruit such as pears, apples, firm kiwifruit or frozen berries could be used in place of the plums. The colour of the plums adds to the appeal.
For the topping
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|½ cup||Chopped walnuts, or use pecans|
For the cake
|1 ½ cups||Plain flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence|
|125 g||Butter, chopped|
|2 large||Eggs (Main)|
|1 ½ cups||Plums, stoned and sliced, choose red plums (Main)|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 20cm springform cake pan with baking paper.
- To prepare the topping, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until the nuts are finely chopped. Place aside.
- To prepare the cake, place all the ingredients — except the plums— in the food processor in the order listed and blend until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan. Top evenly with the plums. Sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the batter comes out clean.