If you can't procure shin on the bone use gravy beef or oxtail. This stew is fantastic served with a creamy polenta.
|2kg||beef shin on the bone, cut into 3-4cm thick rounds|
|2 Tbsp||olive oil|
|to taste||freshly ground salt and pepper|
|1 each||large onion, large carrot, diced|
|3 cloves||garlic, crushed|
|400g||can diced tomatoes in juice|
|½ cup each||good beef stock, red wine|
|1 tsp each||dried basil, oregano, paprika|
|4 Tbsp||chopped parsley|
|1||lemon, finely grated rind only|
|2-3 cloves||garlic, crushed|
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan suitable for the oven, brown the meat in the oil in batches. Remove the meat and season.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic to the pan and stir-fry for about 6 minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the tomatoes and juice, stock, wine, herbs and paprika. Return the meat to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours in the oven or until the meat is tender. Alternatively, cook in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the gremolata.
- Remove the meat to a warm serving dish. Skim any fat from the cooking liquid. Simmer the liquid until slightly thickened. Spoon over the meat and sprinkle with gremolata.