|1||Shallot, finely chopped; or use a small onion|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 cm||Fresh ginger, finely chopped|
|½ tsp||Ground coriander|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ cup||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|1 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|1 pinch||Dried chilli flakes|
|4 small||Chicken breasts, cut into 3cm pieces (Main)|
Beetroot with herbs and yoghurt
|3 medium||Beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated (Main)|
|1||Orange, juice only|
|1 cup||Chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, coriander, mint, chives|
|4 Tbsp||Sunflower seeds, toasted, optional|
|1 bowl||Plain unsweetened yoghurt, for serving|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Soak wooden skewers in cold water to help prevent burning during cooking.
- Pour a dash of oil into a small heavy-based saucepan and add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes. Add the coriander and cumin and cook for a further 30 seconds. Place in a bowl and leave to cool. Mix through the yoghurt, turmeric and chilli flakes, and season with salt. Mix through the chicken pieces, cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. If you leave chicken to marinate for longer, you will need to place in the fridge.
- Make the beetroot salad: Toss the grated beetroot with the orange juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix through the chopped herbs and sunflower seeds, if using, and place in a serving bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill until hot.
- Thread chicken pieces on the soaked skewers. Rub over a little oil, then place on the hot barbecue or chargrill. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve chicken skewers with the beetroot salad and a bowl of yoghurt.