Based on a yummy recipe from an Italian friend. However, I've made it gluten-free. It's not as rich as many lasagnes.
|1 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1 each||medium onion, carrot|
|3 cloves||garlic, crushed|
|750g||lean minced beef|
|400g||can diced tomatoes in juice|
|2 Tbsp||tomato paste|
|1 tsp each||dried oregano, basil|
|to taste||salt and pepper|
|½ cup||shredded parmesan|
|6 sheets||gluten-free lasagne|
|500g||fresh mozzarella, drained and shredded|
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan. Sauté the onion and carrot until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the beef gradually pressing any lumps out with a fork. Cook until lightly coloured. Add the passata, tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Season. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until thick.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bechamel sauce. I prefer to do this in the microwave as the sauce can often stick and burn in a saucepan.
- Microwave the butter in a large microwave-proof bowl until melted. Stir in the cornflour until smooth. Gradually stir in 1 cup of milk. Microwave for 2 minutes until hot. Stir well. Cook until thick then stir in the remaining milk until smooth. Microwave again until thick. Stir well. Stir in the parmesan until melted.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 28cm x 20cm x 7cm baking pan. Spread 1 cup of the meat sauce on the base. Top evenly with 3 sheets of the lasagne. Cover with 2 cups of the meat sauce, half the bechamel and half the mozzarella. Top with the remaining lasagne sheets, meat sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden and bubbling.