I simply love food like this. Great New Zealand lamb chops cooked with plenty of caramelisation, a slightly spicy companion with the carrot, and a cooling fresh condiment to tie it together.
|1 ½ cups||Greek yoghurt, thick (Main)|
|1 ½ cups||Cucumbers, deseeded and diced (Main)|
|¼ cup||Fresh mint, chopped (Main)|
|½ tsp||Garlic, fresh and finely chopped|
Carrot and cumin mash
|½ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 ½ kgs||Carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices (Main)|
|1 ½ tsp||Cumin seeds, toasted and ground (Main)|
|2||Chillies, finely chopped, seeds optional.|
|2 Tbsp||Golden syrup|
|½ cup||Fresh coriander, roughly chopped|
|12||Lamb chops (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle|
- For the minted yoghurt, combine the yoghurt, cucumber, mint and garlic together in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and refrigerate until required
- For the carrot and cumin smash, heat oven to 200C. Place a heavy roasting dish in the oven to get hot.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss carrots with olive oil and season with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the hot roasting dish and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes until carrots are golden on each side and soft. Remove and tip them back into your large mixing bowl.
- Coarsely smash using potato masher or wand blender. Fold through cumin, chilli, golden syrup and coriander. Check seasoning and keep in a warm place until required.
- Place a skillet on high heat. Season lamb chops liberally with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour a little cooking oil into the pan. In batches, brown the chops on both sides. Remove and place in a roasting dish.
- Cook through in the oven for 5 minutes, then remove to rest.
- Spoon carrot and cumin smash onto your plate and top with lamb chops. Add a dollop of minted yoghurt and a slug of olive oil to finish. Serve now.