For a great flavour make up the pickled fennel bulb a day ahead and keep in the fridge.
|1 cup||Dry white wine|
|1 cup||White wine vinegar|
|½ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, thinly sliced|
|3||Fresh bay leaves|
|2 tsp||Flaky sea salt|
|10||Whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed|
|15||Coriander seeds, lightly crushed|
|8||Fennel seeds, lightly crushed|
|4 sprigs||Flat leaf parsley leaves|
|2 sprigs||Fresh thyme|
|2 sprigs||Fresh oregano, or sweet marjoram|
|3||Fennel bulbs, trimmed (green fronds reserved) and cut into 6 even-sized wedges|
|800 g||Side of salmon, boned|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil, for rubbing|
|1 tsp||Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|3 Tbsp||Store-bought herb spread, (see tip)|
|2 Tbsp||Chopped flat leaf parsley|
|1||Lemon, cut into wedges for squeezing|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Pickle the fennel, place the wine, vinegar, oil, garlic, bay leaves, salt, peppercorns, seeds and herb sprigs in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently for 45 minutes. Strain and place liquid back in the saucepan. Discard solids.
- To the liquid add the fennel wedgesand enough water to almost cover the fennel. Bring up to the boil, then cover and simmer until the fennel is tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer the fennel to a heatproof bowl. Return the liquid to the heat and reduce to 1 cup. Pour over the fennel and leave to cool. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Heat the oven to 210C. Line a large shallow roasting tray with baking paper.
- Place the salmon, skin-side down on the prepared tray andplace in the oven. Roast for 10minutes,or cooked until your liking. Removefrom the ovenand place on a platter. Spread with the herb spread.
- To serve,gently mix the chopped parsley through the pickled fennelbulband serve alongside the salmon.
Serve pickled fennelbulbat room temperature.
Serve salmon with a bowl of aioli to which you have added some chopped flat leaf parsley.
Rub scrubbed baby potatoes(cut any large potatoes in half lengthwise)in oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender.
Sliced crusty bread to mop up all the pickled fennelbulbjuices.