Cook feijoas with vanilla, a little cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon and a splash of sherry, then wrap them in puff pastry and bake to make this strudel which is good with either yoghurt or custard.
|1 packet||Puff pastry, preferably made with butter|
|½ Tbsp||Butter, plus more to melt and brush over the pastry before baking|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 bowl||Yoghurt, or custard, to serve|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured board to an oblong shape, approximately 25cm x 35cm.
- Halve the feijoas and scoop out the flesh. Roughly chop and put into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, then let cool.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Spread the filling on the pastry to within 3cm of the edges on the side but leave more space at the top.
- Carefully roll up the pastry from the long side, then brush the edge with a little water to seal.
- Melt 1 Tbbsp of butter and brush over the pastry, then bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Slice and serve hot with custard or yoghurt.