My go-to Christmas party gift this year evokes home comfort. It’s my favourite shortbread recipe (dusted with raspberry flavoured icing sugar for a festive look), along with a gorgeous tin of Waikato-grown tea from Zealong Tea Estate (above).
|Butter, softened (Main)
- Heat the oven to 160C fan bake. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter well. Sift the flour, cornflour, icing sugar and custard powder together with a pinch of salt.
- Sift again over the butter and fold in. Tip out on to your bench top and quickly knead together. The secret is to not over work the mixture. Cut in half.
- Roll each half into a cylinder about 2.5cm wide. Cut into 2cm slices and place on the trays. Press to flatten a little and prick each with a fork.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the shortbread is light beige. Turn trays halfway through for an even bake.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool before storing in an airtight container.
- For Christmas, mix together 2 tablespoons icing sugar and ½ teaspoon Fresh As raspberry powder. Place in a fine sieve and sprinkle over the shortbread.