You can store this cake in the fridge for up to 3 days.
|4||ripe but firm pears|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence|
|½ cup||caster sugar|
|3||eggs, lightly beaten|
|¾ cup||plain flour|
|1½ tsp||baking powder|
|½ tsp||mixed spice|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Lightly grease and line a 21cm spring-form cake pan with baking paper.
- Peel, core and dice the pears. This will make 3 cups. Place in a bowl.
- Finely grate the lemon rind and squeeze out the juice. Pour the lemon juice over the pears and stir to coat.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan until golden. Cool. Place in a medium bowl with the grated lemon rind, vanilla and caster sugar. Beat until creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together. Fold into the butter mixture. Add the pears and mix gently.
- Spread evenly into the cake pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack before removing from the pan.