Use a good commercially prepared pud for this recipe.
|350g||plum pudding, crumbled|
|2 Tbsp||mascarpone or light cream cheese|
|1||Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced|
|1/4 cup||dried breadcrumbs|
|2 Tbsp||ground almonds|
|2 Tbsp||brown sugar|
|4 sheets||filo pastry|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Combine the plum pudding, brandy and mascarpone in a bowl. Mix well. Peel, core and thinly sliced the apple.
- Combine the crumb mixture.
- Place a sheet of filo on a clean bench. Brush with the melted butter. Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of the crumb mixture. Continue layering the filo sheets on top brushing each with butter and dusting with the crumb mixture.
- Place the filling down one long edge of the filo. Top neatly with the apple slices. Fold in the ends then roll up to enclose the filling. Place on a greased oven tray and brush with more butter. Chill while the oven heats.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Bake the strudel for about 20 minutes, until golden and hot.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar. Great served with whipped cream or custard.