He played Jesus in the school play.
2. His "little" brother, Stephen, is 6'7" and an expert on the Patagonian toothfish.
3. He has a half-brother and three half-sisters.
• Unauthorised biography of David Cunliffe: The man who would be PM
• David Cunliffe: Me and John Key
4. His great-grandfather married King Dick Seddon's sister.
5. He helped his half-brother, Bill, through a life crisis.
6. He scared the pants off Michael Laws when they were at Uni together.
7. He caught a salmon in memory of his father at the spot on the Rangitata River where he died of a heart attack.
8. He was voted most likely to be a world leader by fellow scholarship students at Atlantic College in Wales.
9. His father, a vicar, remarried eight months after the death of his first wife.
10. The William Cunliffe who died in the Brunner mine disaster of 1896 may be a relative.
Photos: David Cunliffe: The early years