Rioting at a controversial Australian detention centre on Christmas Island is over and control of the facility is back in the hands of authorities after a rebellion reportedly started by Kiwis.

Riot police stormed the facility at dawn yesterday, apparently using tear gas and rubber bullets.

But a statement from Australia's Department of Immigration and Border Protection says "the majority of detainees co-operated with service providers in restoring good order and control to the centre".

All detainees were accounted for and five were awaiting assessment by medical professionals for injury or illness.


"None of the matters are life-threatening. It is not known whether those injuries were sustained during the disturbance itself or during the resolution of the operation," the statement says.

Guards storm detention centre
Christmas Island trouble 'had been brewing' - Kiwi detainee
People being 'treated like animals' sparked riots on Christmas Island detention centre
Christmas Island rioters could 'damage their own appeals' - John Key

There were reports of some detainees barricading themselves inside with petrol bombs, machetes and chainsaws after raiding a garden shed for weapons.

The unrest began in the early hours of Monday morning after upset detainees asked officials what happened to Kurdish refugee Fazel Chegeni, whose body was found on Sunday following his escape from the detention centre.

Media reports suggest New Zealanders were behind the uprising, which saw centre guards flee, fires burn and walls smashed.

The centre is run by controversial private prison operator Serco, which hit headlines in New Zealand this year after a series of scandals emerged at Mt Eden prison.

Two bus-loads of guard reinforcements were trucked to Christmas Island last night, patrolling the perimeter of the centre, as sirens sounded for hours on end.

Live on Australian radio, one detainee described riot police smashing their way in.


He said some detainees, including a couple of older ones in their 70s, were "freaking out" as officers arrived.

In the background fire alarms, commotion and shouting police were audible.

"The tear gas is coming into the room now. I have just got a wet rag around my head."

The detainee said those rioting were heavily armed and out of control. He worried about his safety as riot police kicked the door into the room he sheltered in.

"We are going to get hurt."

He then described police dragging detainees with their hands behind their backs, before the phone line dropped out.


The immigration and border security department statement says the operation to re-gain control of the centre was "achieved largely through negotiation and co-operation".

"This strategy of peaceful negotiation and resolution has always been the clear objective of all involved in the operation.

"Some force was used with a core group of detainees who had built barricades and actively resisted attempts to secure compounds, including threatened use of weapons and improvised weapons."

The centre was now "calm" and detainees were secured in its undamaged areas. Meanwhile, authorities were sweeping the centre for weapons.

A full assessment of the damage is yet to be undertaken, but some common areas appeared to have suffered "severe" harm.

As the operation was underway, Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton was bombastic in his rhetoric.


"The government's not going to cower in the face of the activities of some of these criminals," he said in Canberra, blaming a "core group of criminals" for what happened.

Attempts to contact New Zealanders in the centre were unsuccessful tonight but yesterday a Kiwi detainee told NZME people being "treated like animals" sparked the riots.

The man, who NZME chose not to name, said the riots kicked off after one person was allegedly assaulted by a guard when they asked about the body.

"It was just a matter of time, all of us knew it. It was a matter of time because of the way they treat people ... They're meant to be so called welfare carers. Duty of care is their number-one policy and bringing service to us, but they treat us like dogs. We're treated like animals in here."

The man said there were fears authorities could return to the centre with guns.