The son of the Covid-denier who allegedly sparked an outbreak in Byron Bay that plunged the coastal region into lockdown has now been slapped with charges for breaching health directions.
Earlier in the week, a 52-year-old man Zoran Radovanovic was charged for breaking a public health order after he allegedly drove from Sydney's Rose Bay to the state's north while infected with the deadly virus.
Police will allege in court his 19-year-old son, Kristian Radovanovic, had joined his father on the infamous journey and also breached the health rules by failing to check in at venues or wear a mask.
On Thursday afternoon, the teenager was handed a court appearance notice for four offences including failure to comply with a noticed direction, fail to comply with electronic registration through QR check-in facilities, and refusal to wear masks.
Byron Bay Mayor Michael Lyon accused Radovanovic earlier in the week of not believing in Covid-19 and said he had travelled to the region with his two teenage children.
The mayor alleged the man did not use QR codes to check into any businesses in the area and had not co-operated with health authorities.
Lyon described the situation as a "nightmare".
"We're going through trying to list all exposure sites and (trying to) work out where he's been, and he (allegedly) hasn't been signing in and using QR codes, any of that .... doesn't believe in it, it's a nightmare," he told the ABC on Monday night.
"It's been very difficult for police and health authorities to track down where he's been, it's ridiculous.
"You have to wonder what people are thinking when it comes to a situation like this."
The popular tourist region had avoided the health crisis plaguing large parts of NSW but the man's infection triggered a week-long lockdown of the Richmond Valley, Lismore and Ballina local government areas.
Byron Bay's lockdown is due to end at 12.01am on Tuesday, August 17.
Radovanovic is already before the courts and his son is scheduled to appear at the Byron Bay Local Court on September 27.