New Zealand are not taking their first test no-ball controversy any further with the International Cricket Council (ICC), despite suffering an innings and 52-run defeat to Australia in Wellington.

Adam Voges was bowled by Doug Bracewell in the final over of the opening day but umpire Richard Illingworth had called no ball on a delivery later shown to be legitimate. Voges was on seven at the time. He went on to make 239.

The Black Caps were furious about the situation after the team received apologies and reassurances from the ICC that there would be no repeat of the Nathan Lyon hotspot incident which jeopardised their chances of levelling November's test series at Adelaide Oval.

New Zealand coach Mike Hesson said yesterday they had accepted the Basin Reserve situation after discussions with match referee Chris Broad.


"There's no doubt we were disappointed but we moved on pretty quickly. [After the discussion], it became clear not much can be done."

When asked whether he'd like no-ball decisions in international matches to be made by the third umpire, Hesson responded: "Players, coaches and spectators want more decisions right. If we use technology to do that, decisions like that become less influential. The ICC are aware of that and will discuss it.

"The umpires are assisted in many ways and it's made the game better. You're kidding yourself if you think there is a 100 per cent proof system."

Illingworth is reportedly distraught over the howler. He is scheduled to transfer to the third umpire's box for the final test in Christchurch starting on Saturday.

The visitors won by an innings and 52 runs after dismissing New Zealand for 327 in their second innings and cannot lose the series when the second test starts in Christchurch on Saturday.

Hesson accepted Australia still dominated the test but, if anything, the New Zealanders would have preferred a greener Basin Reserve pitch.

"It only seamed for two hours and that meant both sides weren't exposed in those conditions. That makes the toss more important. We were behind from the start and struggled to get back in. We were outplayed throughout."

He said they would be analysing their batting struggles from both innings.

"Look at the first-session wickets. They were all from good length deliveries which moved off the straight and exposed our techniques.

"[In the second innings] they were getting it to move both ways [using reverse swing].

"Our batsmen were talking about how to combat it. You've got to think about the most challenging delivery. Is it the one attacking the stumps or going away? To be fair, in New Zealand, it's rare to get reverse swing 18 overs into an innings on day three."