Recap of the Fifa Women’s World Cup 2023 clash between the Football Ferns and Switzerland in Dunedin.
The Football Ferns’ chances of making the second round took a hit following their 1-0 defeat by the Philippines on Tuesday. But they’re still a chance.
Heading into tonight’s final two games in the group - with Norway taking on the Philippines at Eden Park, also kicking off at 7pm - all four teams have the opportunity to advance.
- If New Zealand beat Switzerland and Norway beat the Philippines, the Football Ferns finish top.
- If New Zealand beat Switzerland and the Philippines beat Norway, the Football Ferns advance while first and second spot will be determined by a tiebreaker (more below).
- If New Zealand draw with Switzerland and Norway beat the Philippines, it will go to tiebreaker.
- If New Zealand draw with Switzerland and the Philippines beat Norway, the Football Ferns are out.
- If New Zealand lose, the Football Ferns are out.
Tiebreaker if Norway and New Zealand finish on same points:
A tiebreaker is decided by goal difference, then goals for, then head-to-head.
- Tiebreaker #1: Goal difference. Norway (-1) currently sit behind New Zealand (0) on goal difference and a 1-0 win, with a Football Ferns draw, would see the two sides level. That would lead to tiebreaker #2. But if Norway beat the Philippines by more than one goal, then they would finish ahead of New Zealand on goal difference.
- Tiebreaker #2: Goals scored. Norway have yet to score while New Zealand have just one goal. A 0-0 draw for New Zealand won’t help their case here but if Norway only win 1-0 then the Football Ferns would be level on one goal each and would be decided by tiebreaker #3. A 1-1 draw for New Zealand and a 1-0 win for Norway would mean New Zealand advance.
- Tiebreakers #3: Head-to-head result. New Zealand have the edge here after the opening 1-0 win at Eden Park.