Wellingtonians have been told there is no cause for alarm about potential asbestos risk from this morning’s deadly Loafers Lodge fire.
A Wellington City Council spokesperson said Public Health Officers are on site and organising testing in the area.
‘There is no cause for alarm and no planned evacuations in the vicinity of today’s tragic events.
‘Health effects from asbestos released from fires is generally considered low risk.’
The updated advice comes as emergency services remain at the scene on Adelaide Road, after a fire broke out in the early hours of this morning - resulting in at least six confirmed deaths.
Locals were initially told to stay inside with their windows closed to keep themselves safe from the smoke.
At least one Government department has issued staff with advice to wear a mask while outside in the CBD and nearby suburbs due to the fire.
In an email to staff, it says authorities have indicated they are investigating a potential asbestos risk associated with the building.
Traffic and diversions
The Adelaide Rd closure is affecting bus services this morning. Buses will detour away from Adelaide Rd via John St and Wallace St.
“Expect significant delays. Allow extra time for travel,” an updated Metlink alert said 9.47am.
Wellington City Council said drivers and other commuters should take alternative routes.
“Buses and other traffic between the central city and southern suburbs are likely to be diverted for several hours, at least, and delays can be expected.
“Bus passengers are advised to check the Metlink website for further details.”
The Council said staff were working closely with emergency services and other agencies to help the people who have escaped this morning’s fire, including finding them clothes and helping to arrange alternate accommodation.
Metlink said all bus services that use Newtown heading toward and away from the city will detour until further notice, affecting most Newtown routes.
The Metlink Wellington Cancellations Twitter page is also being updated regularly throughout this morning.