A man who set himself alight outside a Tauranga service station is still in critical condition in hospital.
The man, aged in his 50s, was last night flown from Tauranga Hospital to Middlemore where he remains in intensive care.
Five people rushed to quell the flames when the incident happened at 3.16pm Saturday.
The owner of Z Energy, corner Cameron Road and Eleventh Avenue, Dave Gillies, said the incident happened at a cafe and bus stop metres away from the station. He confirmed the man had purchased five litres of petrol and a small container from Z.
"The guy came in, purchased a fuel container then prepaid for petrol and left the site. Next thing my team knew, smoke was coming out from [Sierra] cafe next door."
"[My staff] used water containers off the forecourt. Water was poured on him."
Mr Gillies said his staff got to the man quickly, and continued applying cold water even after ambulance staff arrived.
"There was good, fast action from members of public. It was right near a bus stop so the public raised the alarm and called emergency services."
Mr Gillies said there was absolutely nothing to indicate anything untoward when the man purchased the fuel.
He had organised trauma counselling for his staff and said there was "widespread impact" from the incident.
An ambulance took the man to hospital while the Fire Service cleaned the scene of the incident.
Acting Senior Sergeant Tristan Murray of Tauranga Police thanked the five members of the public who helped the man, including an off-duty nurse.
Mr Murray said Police organised Victim Support counsellors for the members of the public who attended the incident.