Sir Elton John's tour promoter is adamant partial refunds won't be paid for Sunday's called-off Auckland concert - putting him at odds with New Zealand consumer authorities.

And he has laughed off suggestions that the performance was purposely extended with the use of instrumentals.

Tour promoter Michael Chugg revealed today that organisers had considered rescheduling the two remaining Mt Smart concerts for mid-2020, but scratched the idea because of the New Zealand winter.

Instead, John - who is suffering from walking pneumonia - will perform the two concerts, which had been due to play tonight and tomorrow, next January. It follows the abandoned Sunday night concert at Mt Smart, in which John had to be assisted off stage with a lost voice, just after he attempted starting the 16th of 25 songs.

Advertisement

Chugg told The Hits' Laura, Sam and Toni Breakfast Show today: "Unfortunately a decision (on the next concerts) was made yesterday afternoon, early evening that his voice hasn't recovered adequately... he couldn't hit the notes, couldn't do the scales. To keep going would be a disapointment for Elton and everybody.

"Because he's in the middle of his world tour, the only times would have been dead in the middle of the NZ winter... so we moved to January."

Chugg was emphatic that there would be no replay of the Sunday night concert - or partial refunds. "No."

"He did, like, two hours and as far as everybody is concerned, the authorities and everyone, he has played the concert... so that won't be replayed, no.

"No refunds for the Sunday night. No, (that's) not at all (unreasonable). He played two hours and there are rules and measures in place... and Consumer NZ said there doesn't need to be refunds."

He later told Mike Hosking on NewstalkZB that of the 34,000 people who attended, 105 people had applied for a refund. He said that was a fairly small number of people who felt they should get a refund. But the overwhelming response they were getting from fans who were there that night was that they were happy with what they saw.

John is due to play in Melbourne on Saturday. Asked whether that show may be at risk too, Chugg was somewhat coy about his answer.

"It'd be a fair punt [that it went ahead]. Or maybe it wouldn't."

Advertisement

Chugg said there was "no doubt" that John would return.

"He wouldn't miss it for quids."

Consumer NZ's head of research Jessica Wilson said yesterday that as fans only saw about two-thirds of the promised set list, they could be in for a partial refund.

"It is a contract. People have bought tickets to an event, the advertiser promised a full Elton John concert, and they only got part of it, they could get a partial refund. People should only pay for what they receive."

There was precedent in that concertgoers received refunds when a headline act pulled out from a multi-artist bill, she said.

Her advice was for disgruntled fans to go back to the ticket agent, and if that was not successful they could take their case to the disputes tribunal.

"If you have forked out several hundred dollars in the expectation this could be the last chance you get to see Elton John, and you did not get that experience, you might likely think it is worth pursuing."

The Hits' Sam Wallace asked Chugg today whether instrumentals had been extended on Sunday night to reach a certain time limit. Chugg scoffed in response.

"Mate those songs have those instrumentals in them every night. They go for seven, eight, nine minutes. I heard that one yesterday and said that's a good one, who came up with that?"

Chugg said John had wanted to keep going as far as he possibly could on Sunday. "Even though he lost his voice, he was singing like an angel."

View this post on Instagram

Elton John interrompeu um show que realizava em Auckland, na Nova Zelândia, neste domingo, e anunciou que está com pneumonia. O artista de 72 anos, recentemente vencedor do Oscar de melhor canção original com "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again", se apresentava no Mount Smart Stadium como parte de sua turnê mundial de despedida, quando perdeu a voz e começou a chorar no palco. Vídeos compartilhados nas redes sociais mostram o cantor sendo escoltado do palco, enquanto milhares de fãs o aplaudem de pé. O britânico postou sobre sua doença no Twitter e no Instagram, dizendo que estava "profundamente chateado e arrependido" por sua performance, agradecendo pelo apoio. "Quero agradecer a todos que compareceram ao show do " Elton Farewell Tour ", em Auckland hoje à noite. Fui diagnosticado com pneumonia atípica hoje cedo, mas estava determinado a dar a vocês o melhor show humanamente possível. O artista tem agenda com mais dois shows na cidade da Nova Zelândia no final desta semana – inclusive com ingressos ainda à venda –, mas a realização dos concertos não ficou clara após o ocorrido deste domingo. Pneumonia atípica é um termo médico que descreve um caso leve da doença, de acordo com a American Lung Association. Ela é causada por bactérias e vírus e seus sintomas incluem febre, dor no peito, tosse e dor no peito – semelhante ao resfriado, mas os pacientes geralmente conseguem continuar as atividades diárias. Melhoras Elton John Deus abençoe 🙏 . . . . . #eltonfarewelltour #força #eltonjohn #auckland #sky #cura #pneumonia #webtv #fé #musica #famosos #noticiasagora #fofocas #famosos #eltonjohntour #pneumonia #coronavirus #goodmorning #celebrity #bomdia #cantor #singer #bbb20 #paredão #ufc #deus #religião #luz #olhar #abencoado

A post shared by ᴅɪᴠᴜʟɢᴜᴇ ꜱᴇᴜ ᴛᴀʟᴇɴᴛᴏ 🎯 (@divulgueseutalento) on

John said last night he was "incredibly disappointed" to have to postpone his two remaining New Zealand shows on doctors' orders.

Air New Zealand is set to ease some of the disappointment for out-of-town fans; with the airline announcing fare flexibility as a result.

The national carrier said late last night: "As a gesture of goodwill, concertgoers no longer requiring travel to Auckland in the coming days can have the value of their fare held in credit for up to 12 months.

"The airline will waive success service fees but any fare difference when booking new flights will apply."

Fans affected can contact the airline on Twitter, Facebook or 0800 737 000.

Sir Elton John performing at Mt Smart stadium on Sunday, which was to be the first of three farewell performances in Auckland. Photo / David Watson
Sir Elton John performing at Mt Smart stadium on Sunday, which was to be the first of three farewell performances in Auckland. Photo / David Watson

A statement released by the tour promoter said John's two Auckland shows on his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour have been rescheduled for January 2021.

The superstar had not been able to recover from walking pneumonia to perform the last two of three shows tonight and tomorrow night.

He apologised to fans in a statement last night announcing the cancellations.

"I'm incredibly disappointed to have to reschedule my remaining Auckland dates and I want to send my sincerest apologies to my amazing fans for any inconvenience caused.

"I always want to be able to give one hundred per cent and I'm afraid that, right now, I'm not able to do that. I am grateful for the love and loyalty I have been shown by all of you and I can't wait to return in January next year to perform my final New Zealand shows."

READ MORE:
Elton John forced to cancel Auckland shows, concerts rescheduled for next year
Elton John forced to cancel Auckland shows, concerts rescheduled for next year
Elton John cancels Mt Smart Auckland concert mid-performance, loses voice with pneumonia
Elton John: Fans entitled to partial refund after Auckland concert cut short - Consumer NZ

The promoter said: "Despite the best efforts of a performer who never wants to disappoint his fans, upon further consultation from doctors and specialists, it has this evening been decided that Sir Elton John's two remaining Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, performances will be rescheduled to Friday 15th and Saturday 16th January 2021."

Kiwi fans shared their thoughts on social media sites Twitter and Facebook - expressing their disappointment but also understanding.

"Dear Elton ... I'm very sorry about your situation. I hope you'll get better soon," one wrote.

Another said: "Get well soon, Sir Elton John. Don't rush yourself right now to finish your (tour). We want you to be happy and healthy. We love you!"

The 72-year-old singer was forced to cut his show midway through his performance on Sunday evening, suffering pneumonia and losing his voice.

He left the stage in tears.

Medical staff had earlier rushed to give the singer oxygen on stage as he told them he felt dizzy. He eventually had to end the show after hammering out 16 of the 25 songs on his setlist.

His next show at Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium was earlier rescheduled to Wednesday, with another show on Thursday.

Chugg said: "Elton's a performer, he puts everything into his live shows, and as you can imagine he's just devastated at having to postpone his Auckland dates.

"He has to listen to his doctors and recover properly right now. But don't worry, you better believe he'll be back and better than ever in January next year."

Due to John's international Farewell Yellow Brick Road dates filling the remainder of the calendar year, the performer will return at the earliest possible opportunity; January 2021, the statement said.

Tickets for John's concert today will be valid for the January 15 concert next year.

Tickets for tomorrow's show will be valid for January 16, 2021.

Those unable to attend the rescheduled shows next year can contact Ticketmaster to request a refund.

All remaining Australian shows on the current tour will go ahead as planned.