Relatives of a couple and their two teenage daughters who died in a horror crash near Kaikōura have arrived in New Zealand to deal with the aftermath.

Funeral preparations are now under way for the Malaysian family who arrived early last week and who died four days later, on Friday, in a crash with a truck on State Highway 1 about 3.15pm.

The victims have been identified as Adanan bin Jeman, 49, his wife Dr Rumihati binti Abd Hamid, also 49, Nur Irfan binti Adanan, 15, and Nur Aaleeyah Maisarah binti Adanan, 13.

A third daughter - Nur Anifah Bahiyah binti Adanan, 11 - remains in Wellington Hospital. She is said to be in a stable condition today.


None of the three children were wearing seatbelts at the time of the fatal crash, Stuff reports.

It is understood 15-year-old Nur Irfan died in Christchurch Hospital after being rushed there shortly after the crash. She had initially been put on life support.

Fourth person dies after Friday crash north of Kaikoura
'Horrendous': Family of tourists involved in triple fatal crash north of Kaikoura
Malaysian family travelling to Christchurch mosque targeted in March terrorist attacks believed to be victims of triple fatal crash north of Kaikoura
Three dead, four injured after horror crash near Kaikoura

Members of the Malaysian community are now rallying to support the extended family and the youngest victim still in hospital.

A spokesman for New Zealand-based charity Handshake People said they were in contact with relatives - seven of whom had since arrived from Malaysia over the weekend.

The group had split up - two of them now in Wellington to support their 11-year-old niece in hospital and the others in Christchurch to be with the bodies of their loved ones.

The spokesman said extended family members had decided that the Muslim family would all be buried in Christchurch, if possible.

Handshake People had since launched a fundraising effort among Malaysians in New Zealand - calling for anyone keen to help with the costs of the funerals to donate to a dedicated bank account.


Anyone wanting to make a donation can contact the Handshake People charity directly via its website.

The spokesman said they were in the process of setting up a Givealittle page, but were waiting for permission from the extended family to do so.

The High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington also issued a statement.

"We pray for strength for the family and friends who are going through this period of grief and bereavement.

"We will continue to extend consular assistance to the family of the victims who are now in Christchurch and Wellington."

Malaysian media reported that the family had only been in the country for a few days before the crash.


A relative told the New Straits Times publication that they had arrived in New Zealand on Monday, December 2.

The relative told the paper they understood the group had planned to visit one of the Christchurch mosques that were targeted earlier this year.

As a result, the extended family was hoping their relatives could be laid to rest in Christchurch.

"We will request that they be buried there...That is why we agreed for them to be buried there as they did not manage to see the place."