Four people have escaped a house fire in Hastings.
Firefighters were called to the scene on the corner of Albert St and Sylvan Rd about 10.45am.
Hastings Senior Station Officer Ryan McCarty said all occupants were able to get out of the house in time because the house had working smoke alarms.
"It seems to be a small kitchen fire situated at the back of the house, the three occupants and child all managed to get out in time thanks to their working smoke alarms," McCarty said.
The situation was under control but firefighters remained at the scene more than an hour later.
"We're just working on preventing it going into the roof cavities and spreading to the neighbors, but we have it under control."
Harry Williams who lived across the road said he was in bed and was shocked by what he saw when he got up.
"I didn't really see much of the fire cause I was in bed watching Netflix but I heard an alarm going off and I thought to myself what the hell is going on then I saw firetrucks and cops and I was like 'crap what's going on here?'"
The occupants of the house refused to comment.
Police blocked off the road while firefighters fought the fire.