Friends of a young couple who lost everything when their home exploded in Auckland are fundraising to help them get back on their feet.
The occupants of the Mary Dreaver St home in New Windsor were rushed to hospital on Tuesday after the massive explosion.
The entire house was ripped apart in the blast, just after 6am.
A woman with serious burn injuries was taken to Middlemore Hospital while a man with moderate injuries was taken to Auckland Hospital after the house erupted in flames.
Auckland Council compliance manager Sally Grey later told the Herald that the former Auckland City Council had granted a building consent for a sleepout on the premises in 2001.
"If any sanitary facilities or a kitchen were added to the sleepout after the original consent was signed off, it would have been without consent or council oversight," she said.
"We will investigate further."
Friend of the couple Shalesh Lal has started a Givealittle page for them, saying they lost "everything" in the fire.
"The explosion was catastrophic and was heard in the surrounding suburbs that morning," he said on the page.
"It was caused by a gas leak in the rental property.
"This amazing couple both cheated death and amazingly survived the blaze - however they were injured in the process and lost everything in the fire."
Lal said his friends, who he named as Geena Dominic and her husband Biju, "may" be entitled to some support from the Government.
But he wanted to help them as much as possible.
"They will have many costs and the support from the Government may not cover everything," he said.
"They did not have any contents insurance.
"The funds will help Geena and Biju to start life over again, it will help them get back on a rental market as soon as they leave the hospital, and support them until they are able to get back to work."
As of this afternoon $75 had been donated.
"They do not have any insurance cover and are depending totally on funds from friends, workmates and those who are willing to donate from the community," Lal said.
An Auckland Council spokeswoman said the investigation into the property and incident was ongoing and no further information was available.
Lal said Dominic was a close friend and workmate of his wife.
"They have been working together in Blockhouse Bay for a while now," he said, explaining his connection to the injured couple on the Givealittle page.
"I've been always told that Geena is quite an energetic, caring and career-focused character.
"Orginially from India, they have been renting in New Windsor and have been working tirelessly.
"They were looking forward to a much deserved vacation before the incident."
He said the couple have no family in New Zealand.
"Only friends who can share their grief and help encourage them at this stage," he said.
"Therefore, my wife and I wish to raise funds to help them in whatever way we can, to help them to get back on their feet."
To donate click here.