A man's face and neck has been burned after a gas canister exploded in Christchurch this morning.

Fire Service investigator Darren Aitken said an employee of Contact Rockgas was filling a cylinder at the Pegasus Arms Restaurant and Bar in Oxford Terrace when a spark caused multiple cylinders to blow.

The man suffered burns to his throat and face from the fiery explosion.

Ambulance officers described the man's injuries as moderate, with burns covering his face and throat.

Advertisement

Aitken said another person doing maintenance at the building helped the injured man.

He was taken by ambulance to Christchurch Hospital for treatment.

A police spokeswoman said the scene of the explosion had been made safe and posed no ongoing risk to the public.