In between sobs, Dongying Yuan says she cannot believe her only son is gone.

Yuan's son, Enhe Zhou was killed while riding his motorcycle home from work along Coronation Rd on Auckland's North Shore on February 28.

The police serious crash unit is investigating.

The 28-year-old, also known as Alex, has been remembered by family and friends as a hardworking and generous person.


Yuan, 54, looks at a picture of her smiling son on her cellphone, and said: "You're not dead, you can't be. You're my son."

Zhou was from China's Henan Province and lived in Avondale with friends.

He came to New Zealand in 2010 as a student.

After graduating from hospitality academy NSIA, he was working as a baker in Glenfield while studying business.

He had applied for residency and had hoped to one day bring his parents to live with him.

Zhou was buried last week and a memorial was held on March 13 at H Morris Funerals in Northcote.

Zhou's father Jun Zhou, who is a police officer in China, said he was frustrated at how the New Zealand police were handling the investigation.

He said they have told him the investigation will take up to two months.


If charges were laid, it could take up to 24 months.

"In China, investigations would be done much quicker," he said.

Zhou, 55, said he did not know if police would be pressing charges against the driver.

"But I am concerned that if the process takes so long, then the driver can easily just flee the country," he said.

Zhou said he wanted police to do an accident simulation and a more thorough investigation.

"I am not here to blindly accuse anybody or say who is at fault, but I want justice and the truth," he said.

"If there is a need for changes to be made to the intersection, then it should be done.
"I do not believe there is a need for anyone else to get killed on injured."

Zhou and his wife returned to China yesterday.

Carol Miao, family spokeswoman and translator, said the couple were disappointed at the lack of support from police.

Inspector Trevor Beggs said the investigations are ongoing.

"As serious crash investigations can be complex and technical, it can take some time due to many factors," Beggs said.

"Police have been in contact with Zhou's family.

"We have provided a police Chinese liaison officer as well as a serious crash investigator and have stayed in close contact with them during this difficult time."

Johnny Gao, who knew Zhou for more than 10 years, said he remembered him as hardworking and generous.

"Enhe's life had revolved around work, studies and self improvement," Gao said.

He also recalled how Zhou looked after his landlord's dog and took it to the vet when needed.

Gao found out about the crash through WeChat, a Chinese messaging app, when someone posted an image that showed Zhou's motorcycle licence plate.

"I am still in shock, I feel like he is still around and can't believe he's gone," Gao said.