Softly spoken Alan Langdon and his chirpy daughter Que have talked about their time at sea.

Langdon describe how a pod of whales followed their catamaran for 500 miles on their 27-day journey.

Que chimed in "and the albatrosses".

"The dolphins told us the bad weather was coming," she said.


Langdon and 6-year-old Que left Kawhia Harbour in Waikato on December 17 and were not seen or heard from until Wednesday when a local in the fishing town of Ulladulla reported seeing them to Australian authorities.

Langdon denied he'd intended to sail to Queensland to live "off-grid". He said he had planned to sail to the Bay of Islands, but he was forced to change course when a rudder broke.

Que sat and fidgeted on Langdon's lap as they talked to the Milton Ulladulla Times.

The reporter asked what stockpiled food they had on the boat.

Que replied "lollies".

Langdon joked that the lollies were for when he was on anchor watch.

With their ample stores Langdon said the food didn't save them from starving, they could have done it without it.

Six-year-old Que Langdon and her father Alan talk with the Milton Ulladulla Times about their time at sea.
Six-year-old Que Langdon and her father Alan talk with the Milton Ulladulla Times about their time at sea.

"We had more than we need.

"We weren't going to starve, anyway you can live a long time without food. Water is the most crucial thing.

"You hope for the best and you plan for the worst you make sure you've got more than you need."

In response to the "mass hysteria" the pair encountered when they hit the shore Langdon apologised.

"Sorry, didn't intend for that to happen. Have a bit of faith people. We're okay, we're competent and capable, the boat is well founded.

"It might have taken us a bit longer to get somewhere. It's just a question of time."

At this point Que, nibbling her thumb, asked "how long is time?".

Langdon said they encountered some rough seas on their voyage. The swells got up to 10m, occasionally enveloping his 8m mast.

Que joined in on describing the rough weather.

"When we were coming out of New Zealand there were big waves there too."

Langdon recounted meeting pirates on the South China sea on a previous voyage. They had asked him if he had any alcohol or tobacco, "so I lied and said no". He said he had heard of other ships being boarded and "meeting violence".

"It is dangerous on the water and that's the people you encounter there. Not so much pirates."

Que was born in Palau and was quickly getting her sea legs as a newborn. Early on in her life she experienced a 56-day stint at sea. That was just one of the long trips Que went on, Langdon said.

"I can't remember how long they were.

"I got better at sailing so the trips got quicker.

"I was quite impressed with how fast it took us to get to Australia when I decided this would be the best place to come. Well, it's going to be the safest and easiest."

Langdon said he only decided to make the dash for Australian on January 1 when they were around half-way to Australia anyway.