The Independent Police Conduct Authority have found the police shooting of David Cerven in Myers Park in August 2015 to be justified.

The history of shootings in recent years shows an upward trend with three shootings occuring during both 2015 and 2016. Two incidents in July saw two police shootings in the space of a week.

In all three shootings this year, the person has died.

Police shootings in NZ since 2000

July 14, 2016: Shargin Stephens was shot on Te Te Ngae Rd, Rotorua. He was taken to hospital in critical condition and later died of his injuries.


July 12, 2016: Nick Marshall was shot by police who were executing a pre-planned raid targeting methamphetamine and illegal firearms on his Hamilton warehouse. Marshall died at the scene.

June 10, 2016: Mike Taylor was shot dead by police who were responding to a call from his long-time partner.

September 8, 2015: Pera Smiler, 25, was shot dead in Main St, Upper Hutt.

• August 20, 2015: Ford Hurunui, 27, was shot and critically injured by police at Motueka.

• May 3, 2015: Vaughan William John Te Moananui, 33, was shot after he refused to surrender to police, and pulled out a gun in Thames. He was taken to hospital but died shortly afterwards.

• July 7, 2013: Caleb Henry, 20, was shot on Auckland's northern motorway after committing home invasion in Opotiki. Officers chased him from Cambridge and eventually stopped him with road spikes. He was pointing his gun at officers when a member of the Armed Offenders Squad killed him.

• June 8, 2013: Adam Te Rata Charles Morehu, 33, was shot and killed after shots fired at police at New Plymouth Golf Club. The IPCA later said poor communication and a lack of command and control contributed to the events that unfolded.

• July 15, 2011: Anthony Ratahi, 46, was shot and killed as he struggled with police dog following a siege in Opunake, 65km south of New Plymouth. He had been holding ex-partner Marcelle Beer hostage at the Headlands Hotel for 12 hours.

• March 28, 2011: Lachan Kelly-Tumarae, 19, was shot four times by an officer after a police chase in Omahu, near Hastings. Kelly-Tumarae was killed after he stopped his car and pointed a gun at officers.

• June 28, 2009: Shayne Sime, 42, was shot dead by police after two-hour standoff in Christchurch which left officer and neighbour injured; Sime, who was wheelchair bound, was believed to be depressed and his death was ruled a suicide.

• 23 January, 2009: Halatau Naitoko, 17 - an innocent bystander - was shot dead by police on Auckland's North Western Motorway after getting caught in crossfire as police shot at aggravated robber Stephen Hohepa McDonald, 50.

• October 23, 2008: Lee Jane Mettam, 37, fatally shot by member of Armed Offenders Squad after she threatened to kill staff of a Vodafone store in Whangarei and aimed her rifle at police;

• September 26, 2007: Stephen Bellingham, 37, was shot dead by policeman in Christchurch after smashing cars and car windows with a claw hammer. He was said to have been on a party-pill binge.

• August 14, 2004: Haidar Ebbadi Mahdi 37, died from a bullet to head as he stabbed his wife in a South Auckland.

• April 30, 2000: Steven Wallace, 23, of Waitara, was shot after window-smashing spree in the town.