Two people rushed to hospital from an Auckland brothel this morning are believed to have ingested the drug GHB, police say.
Ambulance paramedics and the Fire Service were called to Femme Fatale gentlemen's club on Wellesley St, central Auckland, about 8.15am.
St John Ambulance spokesman Robbie Walker said a woman was in a critical condition and a man in a serious condition when they were transported to Auckland City Hospital.
A police spokeswoman said it was understood the pair had ingested the class B controlled substance Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate Acid, or GHB.
Police are investigating.
According to the website www.drugs.com, GHB is a central nervous system depressant that is commonly referred to as a "club drug" or "date rape" drug.
Euphoria, increased sex drive, and tranquillity are reported positive effects of using GHB. However, immediate negative effects may include sweating, loss of consciousness, nausea, auditory and visual hallucinations, headaches, vomiting, exhaustion, sluggishness, amnesia, confusion, and clumsiness.
A Fire Service spokesman said its staff had assisted paramedics in lifting two people from the club.
A woman answering phones at the club said she had no comment.
Femme Fatale advertises itself as "New Zealand's #1 Gentlemans Club".