The parents of a 4-year-old boy killed when a car mounted a footpath and hit him and his brother in Christchurch, say they have no anger towards the driver.

Nayan Samuel Woods died after being hit by the car while walking in central Christchurch just after 5pm on Friday.

Nayan was walking with his brother Jacob, 6, and his mother when a driver lost control in wet conditions in Linwood Ave, police said.

The car slid from side to side on the road before climbing the footpath and hitting the children.

Jacob suffered multiple fractures and his mother received minor injuries.

Last night, Nayan's parents, Duncan and Emma Woods, said: "We don't have any anger towards the motorist involved in this terrible accident. It is a tragedy for us all."

They said their son was a fun-loving boy who was great to spend time with, and was best friends with his brother.

"We will all miss him terribly. We ask that you use the photograph we supplied of Nayan in any media coverage. We believe it captures him beautifully."

Jacob was expected to make a full recovery and was in a comfortable condition in Christchurch Hospital.

Mr and Mrs Woods also thanked the police, hospital staff and neighbourhood for their support and help.

Police said charges would be laid against the 17-year-old male driver - Ash Austin - the sole occupant of the vehicle. Alcohol did not appear to be a factor.

Yesterday, Ash Austin's mother, Brenda Austin, said he was not a boy racer. She had to face widely reported accusations her son was a boy racer who lost control of a 1999 Nissan Silvia registered to his parents while "drifting" along the road.

"Of course they're going to say that, but traffic would have been bumper-to-bumper," said Mrs Austin. "Simply, it's a loss of control on a wet road."

She told the Herald on Sunday Ash had been driving home through rain in peak-hour traffic on a "greasy" road.

Mrs Austin said he was not injured and had attempted CPR on Nayan. He was struggling to come to terms with the incident. "He's pretty distraught. He's far from his usual self."

Mrs Austin said her family wanted to offer the Woods family their condolences at an appropriate time.