The man charged over the death of William Hoskins, who was run over after attending a wedding near Matangi between Hamilton and Cambridge, has lost his bid for name suppression, partly because his wife holds a high profile position within the Waikato legal community.
However the suppression would not be lifted until 5pm today.
The 47-year-old man appeared in the Hamilton District Court today without his wife but with five supporters, to plead not guilty to one charge of careless use of a motor vehicle causing death following the January 15 incident.
Mr Hoskins had been making his way back to a Cambridge motel where he was staying after a cousin's wedding in Marychurch Rd when he was hit by a vehicle about 4.45am.
The 26-year-old concrete worker from Hastings was found critically injured shortly after by a motorist who raised the alarm but Mr Hoskins died as emergency services arrived.
Judge Philip Connell denied a bid by defence lawyer Philip Morgan QC for continued name suppression because other professionals in the Hamilton legal fraternity had been in the "spotlight" over the situation.
Judge Connell said one member of that group had been telephoned by media and then approached at her home by a reporter.
He also said that the woman's absence from her job within that profession would be known by court staff, police and media.
Mr Morgan asked that the man's identity be kept secret until 5pm today so that he could discuss with him the right to appeal that decision.
Outside the court Mr Hoskin's father Greg Hoskins did not speak to media and his mother Delwyn Hanna was visibly distraught.
About 12 family members had made the trip from the Hawke's Bay and Christchurch to see the accused.
The two families clashed as the accused left court with Mr Hoskins' family wanting to see remorse.
The man will reappear in court in front of a judge from outside the Waikato region on May 14 for a defended hearing.