A 26-year-old man has appeared in court in connection with a death in Hamilton last night.
The Hamilton man, who has interim name suppression, has been charged with assault. He was known to the victim.
Police said earlier they were called to an address in Forest Lake at 6.45pm yesterday where a 48-year-old man was found dead.
The accused man's lawyer, Truc Tran, told Judge David Menzies in the Hamilton District Court that his client requested name suppression because he was concerned at not receiving a fair trial.
"Police are tying to determine the cause of death," Tran said.
He said there had been a lot of "outrage" on social media in the past 24 hours over the death and he feared publicity around the accused's name would exacerbate that and prejudice the case.
Menzies granted the interim suppression and remanded the accused in custody without plea until January 7.
Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Greene said the investigation into the death was ongoing.
A scene examination is underway at two Storey Ave properties where the death occurred.
An orange tarpaulin and white gazebo have been erected across two driveways and police are examining the area and canvassing neighbours.
One neighbour told the Herald she heard yelling from one of the houses in the early evening and said a group of people were drinking on a front porch.
The woman who did not want to be named, said some of the group spilled out onto the road.
"I dropped my partner off to dinner, came back and then people were crying on the road and they were putting a tarpaulin up and I thought 'Jesus, all in the space of an hour'."
A post-mortem was expected to take place today.
Police thanked those people who had helped with the investigation so far.
"Anyone else who witnessed the incident on Storey Avenue or has information should contact local Police or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."