An award-winning doctor has been charged over an alleged sailing incident which left a man bloody and unconscious in the water.
Dr Anthony Ronald Bierre, 61, appeared in Auckland District Court this week charged with operating his 17m yacht "O'Sinnerman" in a dangerous manner but has not yet entered a plea.
Bierre was an elected board member of the Auckland District Health Board before taking on his current role at Biopsy Solutions in Remuera, and a glittering medical career of more than 30 years saw him awarded the New Zealand Special Service Medal in 2007.
The incident for which he was before the court took place in Sergeant Channel between Motuihe and Waiheke Islands on February 8 and left 51-year-old bank manager Talauta Mimilo needing medical attention for lacerations to his leg.
Mimilo was on a family fishing trip in a 6m runabout anchored south of Motuihe Is when Bierre's yacht allegedly headed straight for them.
The injured man's younger brother, Nik Mimilo, previously told the Herald that the group had been fishing in the same spot for about three hours when they saw the yacht about 150m away.
"Before we knew it he was within 20m of us and our captain, my brother, called for us all to abandon ship. As he jumped, the yacht swerved at the last minute and as my brother came up out of the water, the yacht hit him," he said.
The group said they screamed at the approaching yacht and Talauta Mimilo had only jumped overboard when a collision appeared to be inevitable.
"He could have killed my dad, my aunt and uncle and me," Mr Mimilo said.
Other family members jumped into the sea and were eventually able to lift the unconscious man from the water.
The coastguard rushed to the scene and Talauta Mimilo was eventually taken to Auckland City Hospital in a stable condition.
According to the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron's website, Bierre was back aboard his vessel less than two weeks later to compete in the Havana Club Rum Race Summer Series, in which he came fourth.
In 2006, Bierre was accused of abusing his health board position to secure a $560 million laboratory contract for his company Labtests.
Diagnostic Medlabs challenged the decision, which saw a three-year court battle finally fall in favour of Labtests.
Bierre was not found to have engaged in any wrongdoing and had left the company by that time. He later launched defamation proceedings against former Prime Minister Helen Clark but dropped the action when she apologised.
Bierre will be back in court next week.