The Government is not considering a public holiday for Cantabrians to mark the anniversary of last year's earthquake.
There have been reports that Cabinet would make a decision this month on whether to introduce a regional holiday to commemorate the February 22 quake in which 182 people died.
However, a spokesman for duty minister Tony Ryall said today that the issue was not on the Cabinet agenda, and the Government was not considering it.
Christchurch City Council yesterday said a memorial service is to be held at North Hagley Park on February 22 . The Christchurch Earthquake Awards will follow the service.
Responding to an nzherald.co.nz Facebook poll, Jebs O'Rourke said it was important for Cantabrians to be given the chance to reflect on the events of the past year.
He said the "wounds were still fresh" following a number of large shakes around Christmas and the New Year.
"I don't believe there needs to be an ongoing public holiday, but I think the first anniversary is important for all in Canterbury to reflect."
Jaed Düring said the region's people deserved a holiday on February 22 after all they had been through.
"No one but us Cantabrians can possibly understand the way we have had to live since September 4, 2010. 9000-plus earthquakes."
The opinion is far from unanimous, with commenters pointing out that New Zealanders have been able to mark other disasters without needing to take a day off.
"There needs to be a memorial each year but not a public holiday," said Tracey Maule.
Nikki Heath said Canterbury business owners had suffered enough financial loss already without another public holiday to add to the burden.
She said asking them to pay staff for "yet another day of zero revenue" would be "completely unreasonable."
Cantabrians needed the opportunity to observe two minutes' silence, but didn't need the entire day to stare at their navels, tweeted Luis Apiolaza.
"We should be building new Christchurch, looking forward."