National Party leader John Key believes a ban on the sale of fireworks is inevitable.
"I'm of the view that what's going to happen is inevitably they will be (banned)," Mr Key said on TV One's Breakfast programme today.
"You can feel that happening in Parliament. Support for fireworks is slipping away."
He personally believed fireworks provided a great deal of fun for families, but the risks associated with them would inexorably lead to a ban.
"You've just got to accept, I guess, that there are some risks with these things and I just think it's inevitable that in the reasonably foreseeable future they will be outlawed."
National's caucus was yet to discuss the issue this year.
His comments came after an incident in which a baby girl was badly burned when a runaway cracker exploded in her pram increased the pressure for a ban on the public sale of fireworks.
Mercedez Harrison suffered burns to 7 per cent of her body after a rogue firework struck her, setting her clothing alight.
Last night her mother, Polly Anne Tonihi, said Parliament should enforce a ban on fireworks - or prepare for more horrific incidents.
"They are just too dangerous. They are not designed for kids, and they're not suitable when the fireworks company is making faulty ones."
Prime Minister Helen Clark also warned last night that "distressing" incidents such as Mercedez's case could tip the balance toward a ban on sales of fireworks to the public.
"Fireworks are dangerous. We have limited sale, we've increased the age at which you can buy them. But at some point, public tolerance for this will boil right over."
She said such cases could lead to a ban on sales of fireworks to the public.
And she added that she was waiting for a report from the Police and Fire Service to see if going to the "next step" was justified.
One-year-old Mercedez was at the top of her Tauranga driveway - 15m away from where fireworks were being lit on the road - when a rogue cracker flew into her pram, igniting her napkin, blanket, and T-shirt.
Her father, Rueben Harrison, who was nearby, said the firework went into a spin and popped as he pulled Mercedez from the pram.
He ripped off her napkin and put the little girl under the shower.
Mercedez was taken to Waikato Hospital where she had a 90-minute operation for burns to 7 per cent of her body, the worst of which are on her upper back and buttock. Her right arm was also burned.
"We'll never celebrate Guy Fawkes again," said Ms Tonihi, who was discharged from hospital after giving birth to Mercedez's younger sister, Phoenix, only on Sunday night.
Although firefighters attended fewer firework-related incidents than in previous years, people have been injured, and several properties damaged by fireworks.
In Turangi three Department of Conservation volunteers fled their burning home after teenagers threw a sparkler through an open window.
In Auckland police are investigating whether fireworks were responsible for a Plunket rooms being burned and an explosion which blew out windows and embedded shrapnel in the walls of a North Shore police station.
Parliament has considered a ban on retail sales of fireworks twice before but it was rejected both times, mainly because MPs decided the irresponsible use of fireworks by a few could not justify depriving families of Guy Fawkes Day enjoyment.
National's internal affairs spokeswoman, Sandra Goudie, said accidents such as that which happened to Mercedez were appalling, but a decision should not be made directly after Guy Fawkes Day as it could result in a kneejerk response.
Before Guy Fawkes Day, Helen Clark put fireworks users on notice, warning that harm to animals, people, or buildings could lead to a ban.
During the weekend she said her home suburb of Mt Eden in Auckland was like downtown Kandahar, in Afghanistan, because of the noise from fireworks being let off.
Those comments were reinforced last night after the Sandringham-Kingsland Plunket rooms - which are in her Mt Albert electorate - were gutted in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Charred and melted children's toys, books and chairs were piled in a heap outside the Sandringham Rd property when the Herald visited yesterday.
Auckland City Plunket area manager Stephanie Shennan said the destruction had caused a big loss for everyone.
"Everyone's fairly devastated. It was quite a focal point of the community."
Firefighters had not found anything to suggest fireworks were responsible for the blaze, but Auckland region fire safety chief Murray Binning said they could not be ruled out.
Acting national fire commander Paul McGill said this year was the quietest Guy Fawkes night since records began in 1996.
The Fire Service attended 154 callouts on Guy Fawkes night, compared with 245 last year and 408 in 2005.
"We found it was a quieter year than previous years and from our records it's the lowest number of calls recorded since official recording began in 1996."
There were still incidents of fireworks being used irresponsibly, but the Fire Service was encouraged that people appeared to have heeded safety warnings.
Mr McGill attributed the reduced number of callouts to rain which fell throughout the country and this year being the first year since new laws on fireworks sales came into force.
The changes include the age of sale being raised from age 14 to 18, firework sales being limited to four days before Guy Fawkes Day and limiting the sale of sparklers, which have been used to make "sparkler bombs", to bulk packages with other fireworks.
Asked how he felt about Prime Minister Helen Clark's threat this week to ban fireworks sales, Mr McGill said:
"That's a Government decision. Last year we, with other agencies, advocated a ban on public sales. The response was these rule changes and we were pleased to see that the rules were drafted. We want to review how they went before we state our position."
- with NZPA