NZ Herald
Thursday, 04 July 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / New Zealand

FBoy Island contestant Wayde Moore who faced court charge to be edited out of reality show

Katie  Harris
By
Katie Harris
3 Oct, 2022 01:18 AM4 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Wayde Moore. Photo / Supplied

Wayde Moore. Photo / Supplied

A reality TV contestant who took advantage of a teenager's drunkenness to get her into bed then covered her mouth and nose to keep her quiet when she called for help is being edited out of the show.

Last week the state broadcaster learned FBoy Island contestant Wayde Moore, 26, appeared in court last year charged with suffocating a woman he admitted to police he lured to his home because she was drunk and he hoped to have sex with her.

Moore then covered her mouth and nose to keep her quiet when she called for help. He was found not guilty of the charge of suffocation.

The young woman, who was 19 at the time, told the Herald today she was happy TVNZ listened and is removing him.

"He does not deserve to be publicly positively put out there."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

A TVNZ spokesperson today confirmed to the Herald the show would still be launching on October 12 but Moore would be edited out of the show.

"Following conversations with all parties, we have decided it is in the best interests of all involved to remove him as a contestant from the show and promotion."

However, given the recent events they said the show's release party, which was scheduled for Wednesday, will be delayed.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

They said at all stages of production the contestants of reality content are supported with mental health professionals.

Moore was one of 20 young men who was vying for the attention of three women who must decide if they are "nice guys" or "Fboys".

The term FBoys is slang for "f*** boy", a term for men who never intend a sexual encounter to involve a relationship or act as if entitled to sexual encounters.

Moore was found not guilty of the charge of suffocation but copped a broadside from district court judge Noel Sainsbury who said his behaviour in targeting a drunk and vulnerable woman was "deeply inappropriate and disrespectful".

Related articles

New Zealand|Crime

'She was calling for help': TVNZ reality star admits taking advantage of drunk teen, acquitted of suffocating her

01 Oct 04:00 PM
New Zealand|Crime

'It's just gross' - Married At First Sight bride slams FBoy Island

02 Oct 10:56 PM
Entertainment

'Shocked and appalled': TV wife of axed MAFS star speaks

31 Aug 09:07 AM
Entertainment

Abuse claims: MAFS star's ex speaks - 'I was pregnant'

30 Aug 05:00 PM

The not guilty verdict came after Judge Sainsbury said the 2018 law required it be proved that Moore intended to restrict her breathing. Court documents show he testified he had covered her mouth and nose to keep her quiet. He faced no other charges.

Judge Sainsbury highlighted the Law Commission report that led to the law, which said it should be kept "as straightforward as possible" and not include the need to prove intent - advice Parliament did not follow.

As a result, said the judge, it was not possible to "exclude the reasonable possibility that he was trying to stop her making noise" which meant he "must be acquitted".

The judge recorded Moore's interview with police in which he was "quite upfront about his intentions" - "he was hoping that if he could get [the woman] to the house, he might be able to have sex with her".

Judge Sainsbury said Moore's goal was "deeply inappropriate and disrespectful" as he knew the woman was drunk and also particularly vulnerable, having been victim to a recent serious sexual assault that had occurred when she was asleep in bed.

Moore told the Herald he did not mention the case to Warner Bros because he had not been convicted. His criminal record check produced a clean slate.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"It was something that was dealt with and was over. I thought there was no need to mention it to Warner Bros or to anyone."

He said he was upset at the time because his parents were separating, he had lost his job because of Covid-19 and was "really drunk" that day. "I was needing someone because I was emotionally unstable at the time."

Moore said the experience motivated him to go on the show. "I was going on there to show people can be better and this is me trying to be better."

He rejected claims he had tried to suffocate the woman, saying he was trying to keep her quiet.

"When it's three in the morning and someone comes to your house and starts yelling out, it's the most human reaction and I acted the way anyone would."

The Herald interviewed Moore's flatmates present that night. The first intervened when he heard the woman screaming "no" repeatedly, first loudly then "like screaming through a pillow".

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"It was a very loud muffled noise. I could hear her saying 'help, help, help, help'."

Read the full story from the Herald on Sunday here.

Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail

Latest from New Zealand

New Zealand

'The hurt will be deep': Harness-racing star Katie Cox loses battle with cancer

03 Jul 08:55 PM
Kahu

25% budget reduction is cutting Whakaata Māori at the knees - Takuta Ferris

03 Jul 08:52 PM
New Zealand|Crime

'Heartbreaking": Witnesses describe Kiwi tourist's fight before being run down

03 Jul 08:46 PM

Leading EVs in New Zealand

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

'The hurt will be deep': Harness-racing star Katie Cox loses battle with cancer

'The hurt will be deep': Harness-racing star Katie Cox loses battle with cancer

03 Jul 08:55 PM

The racing fraternity launched a fundraising effort for the Canterbury driver.

25% budget reduction is cutting Whakaata Māori at the knees - Takuta Ferris

25% budget reduction is cutting Whakaata Māori at the knees - Takuta Ferris

03 Jul 08:52 PM
'Heartbreaking": Witnesses describe Kiwi tourist's fight before being run down

'Heartbreaking": Witnesses describe Kiwi tourist's fight before being run down

03 Jul 08:46 PM
No U turn on No Right Turns: SH2 barrier works going ahead

No U turn on No Right Turns: SH2 barrier works going ahead

03 Jul 08:44 PM
How to choose a new life
sponsored

How to choose a new life

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP