While thousands of people were celebrating Guy Fawkes with fireworks and bonfires over the weekend, emergency services were kept busy with celebrations gone awry.
At least eight people were injured in Guy Fawkes-related incidents on the weekend and the days beforehand.
A 20-year-old man was rushed to Southland Hospital with serious face injuries after being hit directly in the eye with a firework on Saturday night.
The man was taken from just north of Gore to Southland Hospital in Invercargill in the early hours of Sunday.
Earlier in the night a male fell into a bonfire in Pukekohe, south of Auckland, suffering serious injuries.
Jarron Phillips, of Fire and Emergency New Zealand, said the incident involved a bonfire which was burning in a paddock on Paerata Rd. Emergency services were called to the scene about 8.30pm.
A St John ambulance spokeswoman said the person suffered burns and was taken to Middlemore Hospital in a serious condition.
Six people, including a 4-year-old boy, were injured on Friday night when a church fireworks display went wrong.
Leon Timaloa, his wife Kim and their two sons were at City Church's Family Fireworks Night in Christchurch's Manchester St when the frightening incident unfolded.
Their son Mason, 4, was sitting in the front row behind a barrier about 15 to 20 metres from where the fireworks were being let off.
First they saw some going off in a different direction, before the fireworks began coming their way.
Mason had burns to his arm and abdomen area and had surgery at Christchurch Hospital on Saturday to prevent infection. He was now back home and back to his normal self, his family said.
Fire and emergency service crews were on high alert over the weekend, with extra staff rostered on in some regions to cope with the volume of callouts.
Northern fire and emergency services spokesman Scott Osmond said the team had responded to 12 Guy Fawkes-related callouts by early Sunday evening.
Osmond said he expected Sunday night would be fairly busy.
"Most people seem to hang on to them [fireworks] until the 5th."
"We have a couple of extra staff rostered on to help deal with those extra call-outs if they happen."
Further south, central region communications manager Mike Wanoa said he didn't have specific numbers, however there had been "numerous" call-outs on Saturday and Sunday.
Many were related to bonfires on the beach or in people's backyards, he said.
Sunday was expected to be the big night, and Wanoa said all teams across the central and lower North Island were fully staffed.
"Our main concern is always later on when people leave the fires for the night. It's then that we have to work out how to control them."
A spokesman from the southern region's fire service said there hadn't been a chance to look at figures from the period leading up to Guy Fawkes.
He did note that Saturday night had been particularly busy from early evening until around 2am.
The same would be the case for Sunday night, he predicted.
Emergency services were urging those attending fireworks displays to minimise further injuries by enjoying displays in a "safe and responsible" way.
"For some people, and animals, the booms and sparkles of fireworks can make it worrying and distressing," police said in a statement.