Protesters at Parliament have been seen to be making more permanent arrangements for toilets, 20 days into their occupation in Wellington.
It comes after hostile scenes overnight that saw a man arrested.
Police said a 35-year-old man was arrested in Wellington and charged with inciting
It happened last night and he'll appear in the Wellington District Court next week.
It's understood police are now working to reinforce weak spots in the protest's perimeter, adding concrete bollards near the bus terminal.
— Wellington City Council (@WgtnCC)
A second forklift has arrived, with around 20 officers - and a number of protesters - lined up near the Kate Sheppard Place and Lambton Quay intersection, causing some disruption to traffic.
The situation remains calm, despite some arguing between officers and protesters - seemingly over the placement of the barriers.
Protesters could be seen yesterday using tools to assemble plywood stalls outside the Court of Appeal, and by Sunday afternoon at least one double toilet system had been set up and plumbed into the ground.
Another double toilet sat nearby, waiting to be installed.
A Wellington City Council spokesperson said at this stage all indications point to the plumbing being linked up to the wastewater system.
"This is clearly an illegal connection – however given the volatility of the situation in the area around Parliament we have been advised not to put the health and safety of our staff at risk by the Police who are managing the situation on site," WCC tweeted.
"We also note that the connection to the wastewater system means the sewage is not entering the harbour. We are discussing the issue with Police and other agencies and considering our options."
Earlier, Wellington City Council spokesperson Richard Maclean expressed concern it could be connected to the stormwater system, which would mean waste flowing directly into the harbour.
"We're in discussions with the Regional Council and other interested parties," he said.
"We're going to be talking to the police because we can't go down there, take any kind of action or even investigate without them."
He said they would be talking to police over the next few hours.
The protesters seem to have managed to get the toilets, wood panels and piping into the protest area for the new toilet block despite police warning on Thursday that they would only be letting essential supplies such as food and drink in.
"Police are not allowing any vehicles, tents, or other equipment to enter the cordon," read a police statement at the time.
Meanwhile, a 35-year-old man has been arrested in Wellington, charged with inciting violence, following clashes with police overnight.
In a statement released on Sunday, Police also said they are concerned about the deteriorating environment at the Parliament protests, and maintain that it is not a suitable environment for families or children.
"Aggressive behaviour from protesters, extremely poor sanitary conditions, the confirmed presence of Covid-19, and the number of unwell people amongst the group all make for an unsafe, and unpleasant environment for anyone thinking of joining the activity," they said.
"We are urging people intent on attending the protest today or the coming week, to stay away, this is not a safe place," they said.
The man arrested is due to appear in Wellington District Court next week.
They estimated there were about 300 vehicles inside the cordoned area this morning, and said they would continue to maintain a highly visible presence in and around Parliament grounds.
Seven Covid-19 cases have now been connected to the protest at Parliament, said a Regional Public Health spokesperson.
"We are aware of three cases connected to the protest who have been hospitalised. Of these, two were hospitalised in the Wellington region, and one outside of the Wellington region," they said.
The spokesperson was unable to add more information due to privacy reasons, and said establishing accurate data on cases linked to the protest was a challenge.
"We anticipate reluctance from some protesters being tested for Covid-19. As such, total figures are unlikely to be ever be known."
At least three media members who have been covering the protests have also tested positive.
It comes as a total of nearly 15,000 community cases of Covid-19 were recorded around the country on Sunday, shattering New Zealand's previous case count record for the sixth day in a row.
Auckland Domain remains closed to vehicles until further notice, because a small number of anti-mandate protesters have set up tents there and stayed overnight.
Police confirmed they are aware a small group camped overnight - despite previous reassurances from protest leaders that they'd be packed up by the end of yesterday.
Inspector Jacqui Whittaker said before midday police would continue to monitor the situation today and respond to any issues if they arise but says there were none overnight.
She said police continued to work with the Auckland Council.
Vehicle access to the Domain is blocked at this stage but Whittaker says discussions are ongoing.
Whitakker says police respect the lawful right to protest, and will monitor the situation to ensure that there's minimal disruption to the public.
Tensions flared in Wellington last night as police dressed in riot gear rushed to the protest site, in response to an apparent influx of people trying to arrive.
Reporters on the ground described a rowdy and noisy scene, with protesters cheering, singing and speaking into megaphones.
A forklift, used to move concrete barriers, arrived back at the scene and was being followed by several protesters, while motorists in cars sounded their horns as they drove in circles.
Several police vans arrived at the protest, where they transported police in riot gear to another location. Paramedics were also at the scene.
Other police gathered near the bus interchange.
Earlier paramedics attended to a small number of officers who were spat on by protesters at the protest perimeter, saying it was "very disappointing behaviour".
Despite some progress being made, protesters and police continue to clash over arrivals who have shown up hoping to join the occupied zone.
Yesterday police formed a line, blocking access into the bus interchange area, while protesters formed their own line with their backs turned to police.
A person was arrested in relation to an incident in which a strop had been tied to a bollard and then to a car towbar.
As the lead protester and a police officer were arguing, the driver of the car lurched forward, almost rolling the bollard onto a nearby woman.
Fortunately, the strop hadn't been tied properly and it released before the bollard tipped.
Police had been conducting "reassurance patrols" at Pipitea Marae and with residents who live within the perimeter of the protest.
Any vehicles which arrive and park illegally outside of the protest perimeter may be subject to towing and impounding, police warned.
They estimated yesterday about 300 vehicles remained in the cordoned area.
Police say around 200 people turned up to join the occupation yesterday, fewer than they had expected.
But they continued to urge people against travelling to the protest, stressing yesterday the protest site is "unsanitary", with some protesters displaying "aggressive behaviour".
There has also been a growing number of Covid-19 cases connected to the occupation, with the Ministry of Health warning the protest is a potential superspreader event.
Protesters returning from Wellington were beginning to show up in hospitals around the country with Covid-19, the Ministry said.