Sonny Bill Williams' ailing grandmother was discharged from hospital on Tuesday, and while he has offered a public thank you to those who supported him, the All Black back has not been seen for days.
Williams missed all three of the All Black victory parades in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington after his Auckland-based grandmother was admitted to hospital with an undisclosed condition.
He spent time with her on Monday and visited sick children in the Starship hospital. However she was discharged on Tuesday and is understood to be back at her home. Her condition was not known last night.
A source close to Williams told the Herald the player's grandmother was admitted to hospital some time last week before the All Blacks' final against France at Eden Park.
"She is very old and her health is ... deteriorating," he said, adding that she now "required the assistance of oxygen".
"Family comes first for most people, Sonny [is] no different. You only have one family ... Celebrating and thanking fans can be made any time," he said.
"Sonny remains in Auckland until his grandmother is in better health. That will enable him to travel with the All Blacks or overseas later in the year for the Barbarians match in London."
Family and friends of the Williams family went to and from his grandmother's house yesterday. But there was no sign of Williams.
Speculation has been rife over the 26-year-old's absence from the All Blacks' post-Rugby World Cup final celebrations. He delayed making a decision on his rugby future until after the World Cup and an announcement is believed to be imminent.
The options he is weighing up are playing with the Auckland-based Blues or the Chiefs in Hamilton and playing ITM Cup for Auckland or Counties Manukau.
There has been speculation in Australian media this week that if he does stay in New Zealand, any deal could only be for 12 months.
It was reported that both Williams and Quade Cooper were being "shopped around" by their agent, Khoder Nasser, and a move to the Sydney Roosters has been suggested.
The Australian newspaper said Williams could join the NRL in 2013 after a new broadcasting deal put more cash into the sport. Nasser could not be contacted.
Williams did not respond to messages from the Herald yesterday. But he posted a message on his Twitter page.
"Nans back home thanks for all your prayers. Now manager putting me under the pump!" he wrote.
Williams must make his playing intentions clear by the end of the month.