On the outside the cake looked perfect but two days later when the mum cut into it she discovered what was really under the pink icing.

Social media is losing it after a mother shared disturbing snaps revealing a store-bought sponge filled with mould.

The Sydney-based mother said she got the sponge from a Michel's Patisserie in the city's southwest, and that she planned to serve it two days later, in a post on Facebook.

"My husband bought me a cake from Michels Patisserie … on Friday the 21/2 late in the afternoon. We cut into the cake Sunday night and this is what we found," she wrote.

Advertisement
The mum and her 11-month-old daughter had even sampled the icing just two days before. Photo / Facebook
The mum and her 11-month-old daughter had even sampled the icing just two days before. Photo / Facebook

Although the vanilla cake was refrigerated 20 minutes after she bought it, she said nothing could have prepared her for what lay beneath the swirls of pink icing.

"Apparently it was a vanilla sponge cake. I nearly gagged when I placed it on my plate and dust came from it.

"It completely broke apart as if nothing was holding [it] together but the icing."

The mum and her 11-month-old daughter had even sampled the icing just two days before.

The mum said she contacted the owner, who "didn't apologise", however; she was offered a refund.

After taking the matter further, she said she was given a $50 voucher in addition to having her money refunded and received a personal apology from the franchise's general manager.

"She did apologise but after going to bed I realised this could have been a child doing a cake smash," she wrote.

Since sharing on Facebook, the woman's post has garnered 5000 reactions, 4900 shares as well as 351 comments, with many saying the mouldy cake was "utterly disgusting".

Advertisement

One person said: "That's seriously disgusting! I can't stop looking at it and at the same I don't want to look at it coz it's f***ing yuk man (sic)."

While another added: "The fact the entire cake is mouldy is literally the worst case I've ever see. This could have gotten so many people sick!"

"That's absolutely feral," said a third, while another said "Every time I see this, I throw up a little."

A Michal's Patisserie spokesperson told news.com.au the incident was a "one-off isolated occurrence".

The mum said she contacted the owner, who
The mum said she contacted the owner, who "didn't apologise", however; she was offered a refund. Photo / Facebook

"This cake was delivered by the supplier to the store less than 24 hours before it was sold.

"It was already fully decorated meaning the store owner was unable to see the inside of the cake before it was sold.

"Despite this cake being a popular product with hundreds sold every day, there have been no other incidents identified in the network.

"Our number one priority remains customer safety and quality and we are working with this supplier to ensure that this does not happen again."

News.com.au has contacted the mother for further comment.