The woman who was once known as the world's heaviest has died in an Abu Dhabi hospital just weeks after celebrating her 37th birthday with friends.

Eman Abdul Atti died on Monday at 10.36am (local time), due to complications from heart disease and kidney dysfunction, medical experts at Burjeel Hospital in Abu Dhabi said.

According to, the hospital issued a statement six hours after her death, where the Egyptian woman was in treatment. She had celebrated her birthday on September 9.

"Our prayers and heartfelt condolences go out to her family," said the hospital.


Atti had been at the hospital since April when she arrived "bedridden" and was under the supervision of 20 medical experts. In June, Eman's life looked like it was taking a positive turn after reports she was "able to sit independently and eat on her own".

"[Atti] is able to sit independently for long periods on a specially tailored wheelchair.

Atti was cared for by a large number of staff during her hospital stays. Photo / AP
Atti was cared for by a large number of staff during her hospital stays. Photo / AP

"Her bedsores are almost healed, and because her voice has cleared, she is able to speak in full sentences and is communicating better with her surroundings," Dr Yassin Al Shahat, chief medical officer at Burjeel Hospital Abu Dhabi, said at the time.

Her family "expressed their appreciation for the care and treatment provided by the hospital and are also grateful to the rulers and the people of the UAE for their support".

Last year, Atti said she hadn't left home for 25 years because of her size.

She had been bedridden since the age of 12 after suffering a parasitic infection that "caused her limbs and body to swell", according to Gulf News.

She said inquiries at local hospitals by her family went unanswered, but after her sister Chaymaa went public with the problem, they finally offered help.

The former
The former "heaviest woman" receives a piece of cake from Dr. Shamsheer Vayalil. Photo / AP

Chaymaa said their household consisted of herself, Iman and their mother and that their father had died when they were young.


At the time Atti's family said a lot of time was spent trying to care for Eman, including feeding and cleaning and providing toilet help, as she can no longer walk.

Eman's problems appeared at birth when she was born overweight and continued to rapidly grow, struggling to walk even as a young girl.

She never attended school because of her size, and doctors believe her condition is caused by a fluid retention problem, meaning that large amounts of extra water are being retained in her body.