A printed shirt, whether classic stripes or a retro print, adds a point of interest to any outfit, working well dressed-up or suitably teamed with a blazer for the workplace. Local designers, including World and Yvonne Bennetti have looked to op art and graphic prints, which will appeal to those who want to stand out in the crowd.
Whimsical winter florals also get a look-in, and when it comes to pinstripe shirts, you can't beat the languid option by Rolla's or the crisp offering by young talent Liz Wilson, of Eugenie.
Take it easy with these helpful shirt maintenance tips:
• Buy a gentle laundry detergent or one that's organic.
• Avoid heat when washing, go for the delicate setting and use cold water, not hot.
• Pre-treat the collars and cuffs with a gentle stain remover before throwing in the wash. These parts of a shirt get the most wear and discolouration so need extra attention.
• Put shirts in a delicate cycle to dry then take them out when semi-dry and hang on a hanger to air-dry. Plastic hangers are preferable to wood hangers in this situation.
• Iron your shirt as soon as it's dry. A neatly pressed shirt is the ultimate finishing touch for maintenance and longevity.
Rolla's floral shirt, $120, from Service.
World shirt $329.
Eugenie shirt $389.
Ruby velvet choker $29.
Yvonne Bennetti shirt $395.
Gregory pants $299.
Pale and Interesting
Rolla's shirt, $120, from Service.
• Eugenie (09) 557 8608
• Gregory (09) 520 0466
• Ruby (09) 303 2128
• Service (09) 522 8250
• Yvonne Bennetti (09) 361 2388
• World (09) 373 3034