These Japanese inspired colourfulUmai Skewers are the most moreish snack ever. Trust us… you’ll be going back for seconds! They’re delicious, easy and quick to make, perfect for any occasion to have as a starter or snack option.
After a beer to match? Try Emersons 1812 Pale Ale
We used (soaked) bamboo skewers
We used a Le Creuset cast iron rectangular grill
|½ cup||Miso paste (Main)|
|¼ cup||Mirin (Main)|
|1 packet||Beekist Jelly Bean Tomato (Main)|
|8||Sea Cuisine Raw Whole Tiger Prawns, shelled but head and tail left on (Main)|
|1||Yellow capsicum, big slices (Main)|
|1||Aubergine, cubed (Main)|
|8 heads||The Fresh Grower sweet stem broccoli (Main)|
|1||Red onion, cubed (Main)|
|1 block||Mainland haloumi, cut in 2cm cubes (Main)|
|100 g||Shiitake mushrooms, halved (Main)|
|¼ cup||Alison's Pantry sesame seeds, toasted|
|1 Tbsp||Olivado extra virgin peanut oil, for the grill plate|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- In a bowl combine the miso paste with mirin and sake. Mix well to combine.
- Skewer ingredients on pre-soaked skewers (this stops them burning) and brush the miso mixture all over.
- Preheat the grill or barbeque to 220C.
- Place the skewers on the oiled grill plate.
- Grill for 7-10 minutes, turning often, until cooked and golden. Monitor them as they grill, the tomatoes may be done sooner.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with a cold beer.
See more Japanese inspired snack recipes