The secret to the success of these moreish veggie fritters is charring the corn in a dry frying pan before mixing them with the other ingredients. It gives an amazing smokey flavour that you won't be able to get enough of.
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|20 g||Flaked almonds|
|4 stems||Spring onions (Main)|
|1||Long green chilli, optional|
|10 g||Flat-leaf parsley|
|2 cloves||Fresh garlic|
|1 can||Tinned sweetcorn (Main)|
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|10 g||Vegetable stock powder|
|13 g||Garlic powder|
|13 g||Dried mixed herbs|
|100 g||Feta (Main)|
|60 g||Mixed salad leaves|
|1 pinch||Dried dill|
|1 Tbsp||Chopped parsley|
|100 g||Egg mayonnaise|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 240ºC/220ºC fan-forced. Cut the kumara and beetroot (both unpeeled) into 1cm chunks. Slice the red onion into 3cm wedges. Place the vegetables on an oven tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then roast until tender, 25 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven, then add the flaked almonds to the side of the tray. Return to the oven and bake until golden, 3-4 minutes. TIP: Cut the veggies to the correct size so they cook in the allocated time.
- While the vegetables are roasting, thinly slice the spring onion. Thinly slice the long green chilli, if using. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Drain the sweetcorn. Grate the carrot (unpeeled).
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat. When the pan is hot, add the sweetcorn and cook, tossing, until charred, 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Squeeze out excess moisture from the carrot with a paper towel or clean cloth, then add to the bowl. Add the chilli (if using), parsley, spring onion, garlic, plain flour, egg, milk, vegetable stock, garlic & herb seasoning and crumble in 1/2 the feta. Season with a pinch of pepper and stir well to combine. TIP: Take out a spoonful of the mixture and see if it holds its shape. If it's too wet, add a little more flour!
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with enough olive oil to coat the base of the pan. When the oil is hot, add 1/4 cup of the fritter mixture and flatten into a patty using a spatula. Repeat with the remaining mixture, without crowding the pan and adding extra oil as needed. Cook until golden and cooked through, 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. TIP: Give the fritters time to set before flipping them!
- In a medium bowl, combine the roasted veggies, mixed salad leaves and the remaining feta. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, dried dill and the extra Tbsp of parsley.
- Divide the spring onion, corn and feta fritters and roast veggie toss between plates. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve with the dill & parsley mayonnaise.