Delight your guests with Peter Gordon's moreish date scones, the perfect pairing for your next 'bring a plate' morning tea.
Synonymous with perfecting the art of the scone, Peter Gordon imparts his secrets with these delicious date scones with whipped ginger butter. Filled with medjool dates and lashing of ginger butter that will have your guests demanding for the recipe. The rich and smooth texture of Anchor Butter, gently spiced by candied ginger adds a depth of memorable flavour to these heavenly scones.
"I adore a scone in their various shapes and flavours. Wintery Sundays during my childhood were always a good time to make a batch of date scones and we'd use dried pitted dates. These days I use plump medjool dates as they're softer and more caramelly - but either one works.
|180g||Anchor Blue ™ Milk|
|120g||Anchor Protein+ Natural Yoghurt|
|1 Tbsp||lemon juice|
|100g||Anchor Butter, fridge cold, diced|
|1 ½ Tbsp||baking powder|
|1 ½ Tbsp||caster sugar|
|160g /10||chopped pitted Medjool dates|
Whipped Ginger Butter:
|250g||Anchor Butter at room temperature|
|½ tsp||vanilla paste|
|2 pinch||flaky sea salt|
|50g||candied ginger, dice into cubes|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 230ºC fan bake.
- In a large bowl mix the Anchor Blue ™ Milk, Anchor Protein+ Natural Yoghurt and lemon juice together making sure there's no lumps, then remove 2 tbsp for glazing.
- Place Anchor Butter in a food processor – it's important it goes in first.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Pulse blitz until it resembles bread crumbs, then tip into the bowl on top of the milk mixture.
- Add the dates and gently mix using a spoon or fork to form a dough, making sure all the dates and flour have been incorporated.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured bench, dust with a little flour, then press out into one large circle 3 – 4cm thick.
- Cut into 6 wedges and transfer onto a parchment lined baking tray with 1cm gap between the portions.
- Brush with the buttermilk and bake for 20 minutes until dark golden.
- Allow to cool before serving with whipped ginger butter.
Whipped Ginger Butter
- Beat the Anchor Butter with a hand held mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla and salt.
- Fold in the ginger.
- Place whipped ginger butter into a dish to serve.