We love the way honey caramelises in a pan, lending a crispy, sticky finish to chicken. We’ve used chicken thigh here because it packs a fantastic flavour, remains moist as it cooks and complements the bed of delicious roast veggie couscous that comes with it.
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|400 g||Diced pumpkin|
|2 tsp||Plain flour|
|3 Tbsp||Chermoula spice|
|640 g||Chicken thighs|
|1 ½ cups||Water|
|10 g||Chicken stock powder|
|60 g||Baby spinach leaves|
|5 g||Fresh mint|
|175 g||Greek yoghurt|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Slice the red onion into 2cm wedges. Cut the parsnip (unpeeled) into 1cm chunks. Place the onion, parsnip and peeled & chopped pumpkin on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer and roast until tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool slightly. TIP: Cut the veggies to size so they cook in time.
- While the veggies are roasting, combine the plain flour, chermoula spice blend and the salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken thigh and toss to coat. In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken thigh and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10-14 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of cook time, add the honey to the chicken and turn to coat.
- While the chicken is cooking, finely chop the garlic. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the water, currants (see ingredients) and the chicken-style stock powder and bring to the boil. Add the couscous and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir to combine, cover with a lid and remove from the heat. Set aside until all the water is absorbed, 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.
- While the couscous is cooking, roughly chop the baby spinach leaves. Zest the lemon to get a pinch, then slice into wedges. Pick and roughly chop the mint leaves. In a small bowl, combine the yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic couscous, roasted veggies, baby spinach, lemon zest and mint (reserve some for garnish). Season to taste.
- Slice the chicken. Divide the roasted veggie couscous between bowls and top with the Moroccan honey chicken. Drizzle over the lemon yoghurt and garnish with the reserved mint.