Go big or go home! That was our philosophy with the bold flavours in this veggie sensation. There’s chermoula roast veggies, plus spiced lemon pepper chickpeas and a lightly seasoned couscous that's all brought together with a cooling garlic yoghurt. Go big with us, you’ll be glad you did.
|160 g||Freekeh (Main)|
|2 cubes||Vegetable stock|
|400 g||Chickpeas (Main)|
|175 g||Greek yoghurt|
|20 g||Flaked almonds|
|24 g||Chermoula spice blend|
|800 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|400 g||Coconut milk|
|1 dash||Olive oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan-forced. Rinse the freekeh. In a large saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the freekeh and toast until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the water and the vegetable stock (1/2 sachet for 2 people / 1 sachet for 4 people). Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium-high and cook until tender, 30-35 minutes. TIP: The freekeh is ready when it has softened but still retains some bite.
- While the freekeh is cooking, cut the carrot (unpeeled) into 2cm chunks. Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Place the carrot and cauliflower on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and roast until tender, 25-30 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Thinly slice the brown onion. Drain and rinse the chickpeas (see ingredients list). Roughly chop the parsley. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the flaked almonds and toast, tossing, until golden, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Return the frying pan with the olive oil (2 tsp for 2 people / 4 tsp for 4 people) and the garlic over a medium-high heat. Cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Greek yoghurt to the garlic oil mixture and whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onion and cook, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the chermoula spice blend and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and vegetable stock (1/2 sachet for 2 people / 1 sachet for 4 people). Bring to the boil and cook until thickened, 5-6 minutes. Stir through the butter, baby spinach leaves and roasted veggies.
- Divide the freekeh between bowls. Top with the Middle Eastern chickpea and spinach stew, garlic yoghurt and toasted almonds. Garnish with the parsley.