Ditch the cutlery and get a little handsy with dinner tonight as you tuck into this decadent beef steak sammie. With sticky caramelised onion and a creamy pesto dressing, you’ll be transported to the pearly gates of gastronomy heaven.
|600 g||Lamb leg steaks (Main)|
|4||Ciabatta rolls (Main)|
|100 g||Creamy pesto dressing|
|60 g||Rocket leaves|
|1 dash||Olive oil|
|4 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|3 tsp||Brown sugar|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan-forced. Cut the potato (unpeeled) into 1cm wedges. Place the wedges on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat, then bake until tender, 20-25 minutes.
- While the wedges are baking, thinly slice the red onion. Thinly slice the tomato.
- In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, water and brown sugar and mix well. Cook until dark and sticky, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- When the wedges have 10 minutes cook time remaining, wash the frying pan and return to a high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Season the lamb leg steak on both sides with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add the lamb and cook for 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness). Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the ciabatta directly on the wire rack in the oven and bake until heated through, 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the lamb steak. Slice each ciabatta in half. Spread the ciabatta with the creamy pesto dressing, then top with the lamb,caramelisedonion, tomato and rocket leaves. Serve with the wedges.