|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Peel the potato and cut into 2cm chunks. Thinly slice the brown onion. Thinly slice the carrot (unpeeled) into half-moons. Finely chop or grate the celery. Finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Pick the thyme leaves. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Cut the chicken thigh into 2cm chunks.
- Add the potato to the saucepan of boiling water and cook until easily pierced with a knife, 10-15 minutes. Drain and return to the saucepan. Add the butter, milk and the salt to the saucepan with the potato. Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- While the potato is cooking, heat a large frying pan over a high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. When the oil hot, add the diced bacon and chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4-5 minutes. Add the carrot, onion and celery. Cook, stirring, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the pure cream and chicken stock. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir through the parsley (reserve some for garnish) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill to high.
- Transfer the chicken and bacon mixture to a medium baking dish and top with the mashed potato. Run a fork over the mash to create an uneven surface, then grill until browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Divide the chicken and bacon pie between plates and garnish with the reserved parsley.