There's no better way to get your veggies than by adding them to cheesy golden fritters, gently fried for a gorgeous finish. With an extra dose of goodness from the robust side salad and a drizzle of delicious herby mayo, this is a colourful garden medley that you'll love!
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|2 stems||Finely chopped spring onion|
|25 g||Pumpkin seeds|
|100 g||Grated tasty cheese|
|½ cup||Plain flour|
|4 tsp||White wine vinegar|
|120 g||Mixed salad leaves|
|100 g||Mayonnaise, mixed with fresh dill and parsley|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Cut the kumara and beetroot (both unpeeled) into 1cm chunks. Place the kumara, beetroot and a drizzle of olive oil on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.TIP: Beetroot stays firm when cooked. It's done when you can pierce it with a fork.TIP: Cut the veggies to size so they cook in time.
- While the veggies are roasting, grate the courgette, then squeeze out the excess moisture with your hands or a clean tea towel. Grate the carrot (unpeeled). Thinly slice the spring onion. Finely chop the chives. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and toast, tossing, until browned, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the courgette, carrot, spring onion, chives and shredded Cheddar cheese and stir well to combine. Add the plain flour, the salt and season with pepper. Mix well to combine.TIP: Lift out some of the mixture with a spoon, if it's too wet and doesn't hold its shape, add a little more flour!
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with enough olive oil to coat the base of the pan. When the oil is hot, add 1/4 cup of the fritter mixture and flatten with a spatula. Cook in batches until golden, 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.TIP: If your pan is getting crowded, cook in batches for the best results, adding extra oil as needed. TIP: Don't flip too early to ensure the fritters have time to set.
- In a medium bowl, combine the honey, olive oil ( 2 1/2 tbs) and the vinegar. Season to taste. Add the roasted veggies, mixed salad leaves and toasted pumpkin seeds to the dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide the roasted kumara salad between plates. Top with the cheesy courgette and carrot fritters. Serve with the dill & parsley mayonnaise.