BBQ mussel fritters are a kiwi classic and for good reason – they’re delicious! Make these next time you’re having a BBQ and impress the whole family. They’re fresh, light and super yummy.
Beer Match: Emerson's Orange Roughy Hazy Tropical Pale Ale
For the fritters
|400 g||United Fish Co Greenshell Mussels, thawed (Main)|
|¼ cup||Self raising flour|
|¼ cup||Anchor milk|
|1 large handful||Super Herb Parsley|
|1||Spring onion, finely sliced|
|1 drizzle||Olivado avocado cooking oil|
|1 pinch||Mrs Rogers Himalayan Pink Salt|
|1 pinch||Mrs Rogers Gourmet Peppercorns|
For the aioli
|½ cup||Best Foods Mayonnaise (Main)|
|2 cloves||Minced garlic|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Scoop out the mussel meat from the shells and weigh 350-400g. Pulse the mussel meat in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Seperate the eggs into whites and yolks.
- Combine egg yolks, flour and milk to make a batter.
- Mix in the minced mussels, parsley and spring onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into fritter mixture.
- Make the aioli by mixing together the mayonnaise and garlic.
- Heat oil on a BBQ plate or non stick fry pan on the BBQ and place the lemon halves flesh side down until charred. Squeeze juice into mayo, mix and set aside.
- Use a dessert spoon to measure dollops of fritter mixture into the hot oil. Cook on both sides over medium heat until fritters are crispy brown and cooked through.
More Fresh barbecue recipes: