Though it’s fine to enjoy a bowl of pasta or a couple of pieces of toast, Nadia Lim suggests including other grains in your diet, like in these puffed amaranth and berry parfaits.
|2 cups||Frozen berries, defrosted (Main)|
|2 ½ Tbsp||Liquid honey|
|½ cup||Amaranth grains|
|1 cup||Natural yoghurt|
|⅓ cup||Toasted almonds, sliced|
|¾ cup||Coconut shreds, toasted|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Combine berries and apples in a bowl and mix through 1 Tbsp of the honey.
- Heat a medium saucepan (make sure you use one that has a lid) over medium to high heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp of amaranth at a time, cover with the lid and shake until the seeds pop and are lightly toasted, this will take about 1 minute.
- Remove and set aside. Repeat until you have used all the amaranth.
- Mix yoghurt and remaining honey together.
- To assemble the parfaits, layer the apple and berries, puffed amaranth, almonds, coconut and honey yoghurt in glasses.
Amaranth is an ancient grain that was a staple food of the Aztecs thousands of years ago, and has recently made a comeback. It is gluten free, and when puffed (like popcorn) it can be used in cereals, to make muesli and in this delicious breakfast parfait. While currently not widely used, amaranth is readily available from supermarkets (in the organic or health food section), or health food stores.